Monday, July 14, 2014

Mile 1,335.0 - 1,350.7

Our plan for today is to sleep in and relax all morning in our motel. Balance and Sizzler went for breakfast at the Kopper Kettle  just after 7am. I decided on a different approach. I was going across the street to the market to get fresh fruit , cereal, and milk and make my own healthy breakfast. I was very happy I did that as I ate a pound of blueberries all by myself in my cereal. 
Our new idea is to try and eat better, healthier and that will make us feel and perform better. I shopped with an entirely different set of eyes than I have before. I bought many healthy items and can't wait to eat them. There is no reason why we can't eat better on the trail. It's really just about making better choices and not going for the sugary junk food that is quick and easy. We will see how this works, but I can tell you that my energy was off the charts today after eating all those blueberries.
We had a hard hitch out of Chester. It took us about 30 minutes to hitch a ride. A nice young woman stopped for us and then stopped again down the road to pick up two more hikers. We didn't know them, but they seem friendly.
By the time we hit the trail it was 12:30pm. A late start for us but well worth it, making the most of our town time. By days end we still put in over 15 miles and felt like I could keep going but it was time to camp. I packed out a few slices of veggie pizza that I had leftover from last night. I added spinach leaves, bell pepper, and garlic to it and it was delicious. One of my better trail dinners. Balance packed out her leftover breakfast of eggs, bacon, and home fries. We ate well today and I hope everyday from here on.


Balance hitching from the town of Chester back to the trail around noon time.


That's the way we are going. North to Canada. Glad they didn't post the mileage. We don't need to be reminded of that.


This is the North Fork River. We took a break here and washed up a little.


Y-Knot crossing the North Fork River on this very nice bridge.


These are the signs we follow along the trail. Ever so often you will see another one. Sometimes they are small and nailed to a tree and sometimes they have their own post like this one.


We just entered our 4th National Park. Lassen Volcanic NP. Very exciting.






No comments:

Post a Comment