Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mile 1,139.7 - 1,159.3

Balance woke up this morning real sick. She actually said she didn't sleep at all and I believe it. I had the exact same problem a few days ago and I couldn't sleep either. Yet, we got up and marched on. That's really what it is when you're sick out here - a march. Feels more like a death march. We are gunning for the very small town of Sierra City on Thursday night. We can stay at the local church and they have a small store and a cafe. Best of all, it's only a mile and a half off the trail. 
It was just a miserable day for Balance from start to finish. I couldn't do anything to help other than give her the meds I had left over from my sickness. I know how she felt, because I felt the same a few days ago myself and it is horrible. I hope it passes as quickly as mine did. If so she should be feeling better tomorrow.
We climbed out of Squaw Valley and several other ski areas today. So many ski slopes here near Lake Tahoe. 
We had a 15 mile stretch with no water today which made it harder on an already hot day. A fellow thru-hiker named "Masshole" went ahead and hitched into town and came back with drinks for other hikers. Very cool, and this a Massachusetts guy.


I hate being sick, but it's even more painful watching my partner sick. Hope you feel better tomorrow Balance.


Can you believe that Balance still hiked 20 miles while being extremely sick.


Our trail up Squaw Valley.


A lot of exposed ridge walking today.


Believe it or not, but a lot of trail runners out here today. The trail is covered in very loose rock. Not good footing for trail running but people love it. The Western States 100 mile trail race begin here in Squaw Valley. No, we are not interested in doing that. Pretty cool but not for our knees!


That you "Masshole" (in the orange shirt), for giving us drinks on a very hot and waterless day. Many hikers stopped for a drink. Some we knew, others we just met.


Balance at the summit of the famous Donner Pass. Do you know the story behind Donner Pass? If not, google it. It's very interesting.


Donner Lake.


Balance crossing under Interstate 80.










No comments:

Post a Comment