Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mile 1,159.3 - 1,181.5

Balance woke up today still very sick. Very disappointing because her illness is going on longer than mine. She has a constant headache, cough, sore throat, and has trouble breathing. The exact same that I had a few days ago. I just want her back to health. So does she.
We still got up regular time and were hiking just after sunrise. The daylight hours are so long now at the beginning of summer that we are sleeping before it is dark.
With Balance so sick, it really takes the fun out of hiking. Now it's almost as though we are just plodding through the miles in misery. We still are getting nice views and still are climbing passes everyday but the elevations are much lower. We are hiking now around 6,000' - 9,000'. 
It's starting to get a little tiresome hiking 20 plus miles everyday. My mind is always telling me that I should be biking, kayaking, or running but all I can do is walk. Don't get me wrong, this is amazing and I truly hope that we are fortunate enough to have what it takes to complete this hike. Though my mind does wander throughout the day. Just picture yourself tdoing the exact same thing for 5 to 6 months. No matter how much you love it, it still would get old.
We both decided that our diet has to change. We are eating horrible. It's just making better choices and we plan to start tomorrow as we shop in tiny Sierra City. I'm craving fresh fruits and veggies. Something I'm always eating at home, but more difficult out here. We need to get healthy and stay healthy. 


The Peter Grubb Hut, one of only three huts ( I believe ) on the PCT. we didn't sleep here but did go into it this morning as we were passing by. 3 hikers did stay here last night and they liked it.


A lot of small bridges like this one on the PCT. We could of use a few of them in the Sierras over some of the streams we crossed.


Not really sure what is going on here. A lot of tree removal in this area and a little disturbing. It could be to make a healthier forest? Not sure.


I think my favorite water source on the whole PCT so far. This is Snowmelt Spring and it had the coldest and clearest spring water. So good, we stayed here for lunch and drank over a liter each.


Balance cresting another pass.


We still get great views but not like the Sierras. Then again we don't have the climbing like the Sierras either.






No comments:

Post a Comment