Monday, May 26, 2014

Mile 478.4 - 514.6

No we didn't hike a 36.2 mile day. There was a fire closure from mile 478 to 511. We were forced to road walk 19 miles around the closure. I actually enjoyed the road walking, but Balance hated it. She got even more blisters from the road walk. I just felt it to be different and easier than hiking the trail. 
We really only walked 25 miles today, not 36. The difference is trail miles versus road miles. The road is a straight shot where as the trail winds it's way around every nook and crany.
We are finished with the fire closure and back on the PCT now. Heading for the Mojave and 100 degree temperatures.


Fire closure at mile 478. It's a 22 mile road walk around it. The fire happened last fall.


Lake Elizabeth 


We passed two lakes during our road walk. Traffic was not bad but they did travel fast.


Loving the long rolling road walk.


I spelled my trail name in stones along the side of the road walk. Every hiker who passes will know Y-Knot is up ahead. The orange cone was on the side of the road so I put it in front of my trail name. I was ahead of Balance at this point but she told me she noticed it.


I didn't make this one, but we are 500 miles into our hike. Hard to believe only 200 miles of desert remaining. We are hearing it's the driest and hottest part of the trail coming up.


Thank you to trail angel "Dave" who is sitting on the far right of the photo. He had cold drinks and food for us. Left to right in the photo : Animal, Sizzler, Balance, and Dave and his dog Sully.


Back on the PCT after the very long fire closure road walk. We are happy to be back on the trail. We want to walk every mile of the PCT, but we have no choice in fire closures. So we road walk the detour instead. That is the best we can do. Many hikers hitch through the road walking and pick up the trail where it opens. This bothers Balance. I say, "Hike your own hike". I could care less what someone else does. It's hard enough worrying about me and what I'm going to do.








No comments:

Post a Comment