Monday, June 9, 2014

Mile 568.6 - 592.8


Happy Birthday to Y-Knot! It's May 28th and it's a great way to spend my birthday. Hiking all day on the PCT, and camping with my wife.
Last year on my birthday I was finishing up a cross country bicycle trip. In 2011, on my birthday Balance and I were hiking the Appalachian Trail and I remember exactly where we were that night. We camped at Spy Rock in Virginia. 


You guessed it. Y-Knot turned 45 years old today. Wow, time goes by fast. 45 years old and still a kid at heart. Some things will never change.


Today started off extremely windy. 50 to 60 MPH!!! I'm not kidding. It took everything we had to move forward and stay on the trail. Many times we got blown off the trail. Very frustrating, but you put your head down and do the best you can at that moment. There is good reason all these windmills are here. It didn't help that we had a 2 hour climb into those winds first thing this morning. 


Thirsty anyone? We were, and again had no choice but to get water here. Lucky for us, there was a pipe coming out of the ground with spring water so we didn't have to get water from this horse trough. Pretty nasty. Not even sure if our filters could handle that. Water is getting farther and farther apart here in the desert.


Our camping spot for the evening. We hiked 24.2 miles by 5:30pm and found this nice single site. We set up camp, cleaned up (mostly our feet), ate dinner, and now off to sleep. Good night and Happy Birthday Y-Knot!






No comments:

Post a Comment